Book Review: You Can Be Happy No Matter What: Five Principles for Keeping Life in PerspectivePosted February 28, 2020
Book Written By Richard Carlson (Ph.D.)
“You Can Be Happy No Matter What” is an enjoyable reflection on what it means to be happy in our modern lives. By finding beauty in each moment, we can all claim inner peace. In this book, Carlson describes his five main principles to keeping on track. My summary of these is:
- Thinking creates our experiences of life and how we perceive our thoughts is voluntary
- Moods are the daily variation in how we respond to our thoughts
- Each one of us lives in a separate psychological reality
- Our feelings are a biofeedback mechanism that keeps us moving towards positive thoughts
- By staying in the present moment, we can reduce the distraction of negative thinking. It is the present moment where we find inner peace, which equates to happiness for most of us.
Carlson regularly cites quotations from other individuals. One of these that pops out for me and seems to summarize this book is:
“You are only one thought away from a good feeling.” ~ Sheila Krystal
A longer summary can be found in the Daily Om.