Essential Oils for Immune System SupportPosted November 1, 2017
Essential Oils for Immune System Support
For years, my immune system has been my weak point. I’ve spent lots of time researching various tools to keep my immune system supported. One of the recent additions to my collection of supporting mechanisms is using essential oils. One combination is based on a legend from the 15th century when the bubonic plague was rampant through Europe and Asia. Thieves in Europe notoriously robbed the infected dead bodies of their possessions, yet never contracted the infectious and deadly plague. After they were caught and charged, the magistrate offered them a deal to share their secret for a reduced sentence. Accepting the bargain, they offered their herbal knowledge. This specific blend of aromatic herbs is highly effective in killing airborne bacteria (Choa et al., 1998). These essential oils are antiseptic, antiviral, antibacterial, and anti-infectious. They stimulate the immune, circulatory, and respiratory systems, protecting against the flu, colds, bronchitis, pneumonia, sore throats, cuts, and more.
Two prepared blends that I have tried and like especially during the autumn and winter are:
1. On Guard® by dōTerra has cleansing and purifying properties. On Guard® can be used on surfaces throughout the home as a disinfectant and cleaner. When diffused, On Guard® helps purify the air, and can be very energizing and uplifting.
On Guard® contains Wild Orange Peel, Clove Bud, Cinnamon Leaf, Cinnamon Bark, Eucalyptus Leaf, and Rosemary Leaf/Flower essential oils. dōTERRA On Guard® Foaming Hand Wash is gentle and healthy and a favorite in our guest powder room. This Foaming Hand Wash cleans and softens hands while providing an invigorating aroma of essential oils that leaves your hands smelling fresh and citrus clean.
- Limited quantities of sample size 5 mL = $19.47 + HST
- On Guard® Touch Roll On (10 mL) = $35.53 + HST
- On Guard® Essential Oil (15 mL) = $54.29 + HST
- On Guard® Foaming Hand Wash (473 mL) = $31.64 + HST
2. Pranarōm “Aromavita 8-Thieves Oil” blend has a more medicinal scent. Used in aromatherapy to help relieve colds and coughs, this mixture contains Narrow-leaf peppermint, Siberian fir, Cajuput, Lemon, Clove and Cinnamon essential oils. In addition, Grapefruit and Lemongrass essential oils are included as a nervine and calmative.
Another formulation by Pranarōm, “Imm’Plus“, contains Eucalyptus, Pine, Orange, and Camphor to strengthen the natural defenses of the body against the typical ailments of winter.
- Aromavita 8 Essential Oil (10 mL) = $17.26 + HST
- Imm’Plus (30 mL) = 19.47 + HST
For those who like to make their own, here is a recipe:
- 40 drops Cinnamon leaf essential oil
- 35 drops Lavender essential oil
- 25 drops Eucalyptus essential oil
- 20 drops Lemon essential oil
- 20 drops Frankincense essential oil
- 15 drops Clove bud essential oil
- 10 drops Rosemary essential oil
Combine essential oils in a 15 mL amber glass bottle. Swirl the bottle gently to mix. Label and store in a cool dark place with your other essential oils, when not using!
Use essential oils to support your and your family’s immune systems as autumn turns to winter.
Chao, S.C., D.G. Young, & C.J. Oberg. 1998. Effect of a Diffused Essential Oil Blend on Bacterial Bioaerosols. Journal of Essential Oil Research. 10 (5): 517-523.